What a lovely swan family. Here are some fun facts about swans:
- A male swan is called a cob, a female is called a pen, and a baby swan is called a cygnet. Aren’t those odd names?
- Adult swans have over 25,000 feathers.
- Swans can fly up to 60 miles per hour.
- Swans are intelligent. They will remember if you have been kind to them and they will be kind in return.
- Swans are strong and can be aggressive if you provoke them. In 2001, a man in Ireland was tormenting a swan and the swan broke his leg.
- After swans scare off predators, they flap their wings and call to each other in celebration.
- Socrates thought swans sang the most beautiful songs right before they died. That is why we call a last performance a “swan song.”